Thursday, October 25, 2012

OWH Cards

OWH is Operation Write Home.  It is a wonderful organization put together to send handmade cards to our Heroes overseas.  They are designed for all seasons, holidays, birthdays, or just general cards, blank on the inside, and sent to our Military Heroes to use to stay in touch with their families back home.  Postage for our heroes is free, so there is no need to include return postage.  You can read more about the program here http://operationwritehome.org/.  Since 2007, they have sent 1,821,024 cards to our deployed heroes!  That's phenomenal!
 
An online friend, or a few of them actually, help out with the promotions and collections of these cards.  Now that life is settling down a bit, as I get back into crafting more, this is something I really NEEDED to do.  So I sat down and made a set of Christmas cards that will mail out today. 
 
I looked through my stash for some not too bright and NON glittery (a no-no for OWH) paper, and found this stack I believe I picked up last year on clearance.
 
 
Green is one of the primary Christmas colors, although it USUALLY wreaths or trees I make in green.  I just could not seem to make a tree or wreath I was happy with sans glitter, so I chose snowflakes.  Actually a little ironic to send cards to Afghanistan or something, but still Christmasy.
 
As I looked around trying to decide the best way to make these cards, I chose my Martha Stewart punch (have NO idea what the name is) that looks like snowflakes.  This is the result on the front part of the card.
 
 
Isn't that pretty?  Might actually be stars, but in my world on THIS card, they are snow flakes!  lol 
 
So I played around with inking edges and overall layout.  I am just not good at less feminine cards!  I know we have a ton of female soldiers, too, but I just feel like cards sent to the military should be more masculine than feminine. 
 
 
So, on to embellishments.  I tried cutting several snowflakes with my Pazzles Inspiration, but just was not happy with the size the snowflake had to be to include the round sentiment I wanted to stamp.  So I decided on a Christmas Ornament, giving it a more Christmasy look, too.
 
 
Something is STILL missing!  My crazy mind keep wanting to use glitter or glimmer mist...  Hey, I have some GREAT washi tape! 
 
 
I am pleased with this card. I can't say I am thrilled 100% but for my first batch, I'm happy.  Mailing these out today, and will work on another batch here soon.  If you would like to contribute to this  amazing cause, just click the link above for more information.
 
Next, I will post the craft our Girl Scouts did for the Elementary School Fall Festival (it's tomorrow!) 
 
Please "Join This Site" and share with friends.  The more followers, the more opportunity for prizes!
 
Thank you and God Bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment