Saturday, October 6, 2012

Girl Scout Fall Festival Craft

Today was a good day overall.  Very emotional, over a recent loss I have not yet posted about.  But we took our 5 little ones to brunch this morning, and then after a quick trip to Michael's, we took them to see Hotel Transylvania.  Not an outstanding movie, but cute and the kids enjoyed it. 

Hubby and I are working together on some family Christmas gifts. I think after our trip to Michael's, we are finally on the same page.  As soon as I am feeling a little better, I will start working on my part. Moving on... Boy you can really tell today was a rough emotional day!  Sorry about my lack of funny anecdotes. 

ANYWHO... I thought I would take a few minutes and show the craft that our Girl Scout Troop decided to do for the Fall Festival.  The PTO asked us to do the crafts for the Festival on October 26.  They wanted us to come up with a craft for 300 children for under $50.  Sounds CRAZY!  BUT, I am quite resourceful.  They also decided to save the money on pumpkin painting and have us combine pumpkins with the craft.  Hmmm, shouldn't that increase my budget if they are saving a few hundred dollars on pumpkins?  That's ok, like I said, I am resourceful. 

So after A LOT of thought and work, I came up with a construction paper pumpkin.  Actually, I made the "model" out of regular orange paper, but getting several hundred sheets of just orange, turned out to be a bit of a challenge.  SO, I tried it with construction paper, and it worked just fine! 

I took a regular size (9x12) piece of contruction paper, and sliced lengthwise, one inch strips.  This leaves of course a little 1 inch piece, I just put to the side.  Please forgive me, I will post pics on this tomorrow.  So, with one piece of paper, you now have 8 one inch strips of orange paper.  I punched a hole with a regular 1/8 inch paper punch, in the middle of the strips.  Take 4 strips, put together with a brad.  Then while they are still stacked, punch another hole on EACH END of the strips, about 1/2 inch in from the ends, centered on the 1 inch width.  Spread the strips out so you have 8 six inch strands sticking out and forming a circle.  Gather the strands up together to form the pumpkin.  Using another brad, close them all together. 

 
 
It should look something like this.  I did add a small piece of black pipecleaner on this, but will change it out with green.  Also take about 1/2 a pipecleaner (or chenille, whatever you might call it), and twist around a pencil.  It will all wrap around the brad at the top.  Then I bought googly eyes and and am using my Pazzles to cut funny jack-o-lantern faces on black paper.  The kids that have seen this so far, LOVE IT!  And this ENTIRE PROJECT calculated to make 300, cost $20.17.  Told you, I am RESOURCEFUL!  I will post more in two weeks, after the kids put them together at the school Fall Festival.  Our Girl Scouts (3-5th grade) will precut the paper and chenille and work with the kids to assemble.  At a festival, I figure we will have 90-120 seconds of attention per kid before they are excited about something else and move on.  So our Girl Scouts will be award badges for preparing this craft, AND for working with the community.  WIN WIN!
 
 
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.  God Bless you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment