Saturday, October 13, 2012

Homemade Glue Dots and A Birthday Card

Can't help but love my odd titles, right?  Can't believe I haven't written since Tuesday!  UGH!  Well, we were busy with a Fashion Show Fundraiser for our Foster Care Agency and then my little one's 3rd birthday party today.  Along with the nightmare of dealing with the insurance company over hubby's accident, been a little bit busy.  So, between baking cupcakes yesterday, I decided to use the ten minutes between pans, to try making some of my own glue dots.  Love the brand Glue Dots, but goodness they get costly.  So, here is what I did, and of course later found a few examples of similar ones on YouTube!
 
 
I took a sheet of parchment paper, and some Aleene's tack it over and over glue (great stuff if you haven't tried it!).  Cut off maybe 18 inches of parchment paper, and made dots and lines of varying sizes on 1/2 of it using the glue pictured above. 


 
I let these sit overnight, though it actually ended up being more like 24 hours with a party at the house today.  They dry clear and work GREAT!  I did lines for using on ribbon and other really small lines that are too narrow for using my ATG.  I just folded over the other half of the parchment paper as a cover/protector and it works wonderfully!  You do need to weigh down the corners while it sits overnight.  You can't really tell, but I used trivets from the dining table to keep the paper from rolling up on itself.  If you love the brand Glue Dots, you should try this!  I made a few hundred dots and 40+ lines with about 1/4 of a bottle of Aleene's Tack it Over and Over.  This glue is about $4 at Michael's regular priced.  So you could probably make at minimum a thousand dots with one bottle.  Compared to 200 Glue Dots for $4.99, it's a cost saver!
 
So tomorrow is my sister's 38th birthday.  I didn't have much time to make her a nice card, seeing as I was more focused on my immediate family this week.  Hey, just ask her when MY birthday is, bet she doesn't have a clue.  I ended up using an MS punch and scraps that I got as a "thank you" from some people I bought things from recently.  Kind of funny, but it all fit together and made me happy!
 
 
So I hope she likes it.  Cost me ink for one stamp and an excessive amount of embossing powder, cuz I bumped the bottle over while I was putting this all together.  Stupid boobs!  I thought I would never use the scrap stuff, but surprisingly, it all went together well!  Can't wait to see how well I do with the remaining (a lot mind you) scraps from purchases!
 
Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend.  God Bless you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment